Tuesday 27 March 2012

Granite Club Open

This week I have been in Toronto playing the 11k$ event at the amazing Granite Club. As well as having 4 traditional squash courts, there are 2 hardball doubles courts, a singles court, an ice rink, curling, 2 swimming pools, numerous tennis courts and a bowling alley.

I got a bye in the first round of Qualifying and then played Canadian Gen Lessard in the 2nd round. I started well and took the first game preety easily 11-3. In the second I continued to play well but caught the tin far too often. I managed to take the game however and then cut out some of the errors to take the third also. The final score was 11-3 16-14 11-7.

I was drawn to play number 1 seed Latasha Khan in the first round of the main draw. We played in Washington before Christmas and I won 3-2, so I knew she would be wanting to avenge that defeat. After a slow start, going down 9-4, in the first game I began to play more intelligently. I managed to get it back to 9-9, only to lose the game 11-9 after an error and a debatable no let call.

The second was a different story, it was even until about 7-7 and then she pulled away to 10-7. I got it back to 10-10 and eventually lost the game 14-12 through a combination of bad luck, good play from Latasha and another debatable no let at 13-12.

The third game was neck and neck all the way up until 8-6, 8-7, 9-7, 10-7, 10-8. Latasha closed out the match with a great straight kill into the nick. It's always frustrating to lose such a close match, especially 3-0, but it was a huge improvement on my play last week and some of the things I have been working on in training were really showing through which is really encouraging.

I head home on Thursday and will be getting some good training in before my next few events, in April. I have the British Under 23 championships followed by the Irish Open, another Silver event, and straight into the Intercounty championships where we (Warwickshire) are defending champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment