Thursday 8 November 2012

Pyramid Open, NY and Abierto Mexicano de Raquetas

Sorry for the lack of blogging, crazy few weeks! But seeing as Fram is telling the world to read my blog, I should update it!!

A couple of months since my last WSA tournament meant I was raring to go. The journey to New York was uneventful and I was completely oblivious to the incoming Hurricane Sandy. The tournament was in Tuckahoe, a town on the North side of NY where the local pizza shop owners could well be extras from the Godfather. In a city famous for it's pizza, it was particularly difficult to avoid the temptation until after my matches had all finished! The Pyramid club is quite a new club with 4 glass backs, a nice gym and plenty of friendly members (always a plus!). The owner is Egyptian, hence the Pyramid link.

I was seeded 7th so knew I would have to play well to progress anywhere in the tournament.
First up was the tournament organiser and wild card, Katja Amir. She did a good job of not letting me get into any rhythm but I managed to get through in a reasonably comfortable 3 games.

Next up was 3rd seeded fellow Englishwoman, Lauren Briggs. The only time we played before, was 18 months ago and Lauren came out on top 3-1. I started well and took the first game but Lauren fought back to take the second. I managed to take the third 11-3 and despite a strong come back from 6-10 down, back to 9-10 I managed to close out the match in 4.
I was pleased to get off in 4 in the end as the Semi Final was waiting only 6 hours later that same day.

In the Semi Final I took on top seeded Dane, Line Hansen. Having never played her before, I wasn't sure quite what to expect. Again I made a good start to the match and played well to get a 2 game lead. Line came out firing in the 3rd and reeled off the winners. In the 4th I managed to keep my nose ahead the whole way and take the game 11-7 and the match 3-1.

Kanzy El Dafrawy, seeded 2, from Egypt was waiting for me in the final. She had only dropped 1 game so far in the tournament so I knew it would be tough but I was up for the challenge!
This time I didn't get a good start and was 6-1 down before I knew what was happening. I started to get more into the match but the game was too big to make up and Kanzy won the first game 11-7.
A quick change of tactics and I edged the 2nd game to 8. The start of the 3rd was too similar to the 1st for my liking, going 7-1 down this time. I refocussed and as I started to come back, my confidence grew and with some good play I managed to squeak it 11-9 to take a 2-1 lead. This proved crucial as I controlled the 4th from the start, taking a 10-2 lead before closing out the match 11-4 to take my 3rd WSA title and biggest to date.

The win came just in time to count for the November rankings and helped push me to a career high ranking of 35!

TBC with the Hurricane Sandy Chronicles and Mexican Long Weekend

Next Tournament: World Open
Venue: Cayman Islands
Seeded: - 
Date/Time: 13/12/2012
Opponent: TBD

Current World Ranking: 35

2 comments:

  1. Excellent result and nice blog

    I am interested in your comment "In the Semi Final I took on top seeded Dane, Line Hansen. Having never played her before, I wasn't sure quite what to expect" - does that mean you don't watch the other matches in the tournament? Am really keen to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the super delayed reply! I do watch the other matches in the tournament but I didn't see much of her previous matches and also, you don't get a complete picture without playing them at least once so there will always be that bit of uncertainty. For example, I have watched Nicol David play many many times but having been yet to play her, I would go on with a similar mindset I believe :)

    ReplyDelete