Monday 14 May 2012

British Open - Qualifying Round 1

Yesterday was the first round of qualifying here in Surrey for the prestigious British Open. The main draw is 32 players so 23 were in by ranking, 1 wildcard and 32 more of us to fight it out for the remaining 8 places in qualifying. I knew to qualify I would have to beat 2 playes ranked significantly above me. I drew Malaysian Siti Munirah Jusoh to play in the first round, ranked 20 spots higher than me at 40.

The match didn't start to plan, I was swiping at shots, slow on to the ball and therefore attacking from bad positions which quite often resulted in me hitting the tin! I lost the first game about 11-7 but went back on in the second having blocked all the nerves out and concentrating on playing my game. I flew to a 9-0 lead with solid play, volleying much more and commanding the T. I took the 2nd 11-2 to make the match tied at 1-1. The third was always going to be a crucial game and although I couldn't keep my concentration for periods of the games I managed to stay in front and get the third game 11-7. I was in control again throughout the 4th and even with a couple of errs in concentration I won it comfortably 11-3 and the match 3-1.

I was happy to win but know I can't afford such a slow start today against an even higher ranked opponent in Aisling Blake, Irish number 2 and world number 24. I know it will be tough but I'm going to give it my best and aim for a place in the first round of the 'Wimbledon of Squash' tomorrow, which also happens to be my birthday!

My match is at 7pm tonight so I'm looking forward to watching some of the other matches first.

No comments:

Post a Comment