Wednesday 16 May 2012

British Open - Round 1

Yesterday was my birthday and what better day to play your first WSA World Series match against a top 10 player. I was up against Natalie Grinham and despite her legendary status in the game I have never had the pleasure of watching her play before. I was reliably informed she was quick and liked to drop, this was spot on. I knew she hadn't seen me play before either so it would be an interesting match to say the least. I think we may win the award for biggest height difference as a start. (She is on her tip toes and I am crouched slightly!!)



It was a bit odd going back to the hot bouncy glass back after the much more dead glass court from Monday night. This more than showed as I made a shaky start, not being able to finish rallies from positions I was the day before. After going down about 7-2 in the first game I managed to get my head round the fact the ball was going to keep coming back and be more patient! In the end she shaded the first game 11-9.

In the second she showed why she has been as high as 2 in the world with some fantastic pick ups and deft drops to the front, the game was hers 11-5. I was always a couple of points behind in then 3rd and although I fought well, I let myself down going short at the wrong times. She held the advantage to take the game 11-7 and the match 3-0. It was a great experience and I will definitely take a lot away from the match.

I now have just a few days to prepare before I fly to India for the $10k Chennnai Open which starts next Wednesday where I am seeded 3.


Last Tournament: British Open
Venue:
St George's Hill, Surrey
Opponent:  Natalie Grinham
Score: 9-11 5-11 7-11

Next Tournament: Chennai Open
Venue: National Squash Centre, Chennai
Seeded: 3
Date/Time: Wednesday 23rd May
Opponent: Jessica Turnbull (Aus)

Current World Ranking: 60

No comments:

Post a Comment