Tuesday 17 April 2012

British Under 23 Championships

This weekend was the British Under 23 Championships at Hunts County Squash Club near Huntingdon, Cambs. I went into the tournament as number 1 seed and hoping to go one better than last years' runner up spot!

I played a couple of younger girls in the first 2 rounds and although they both put up a fight, I won through reasonably comfortably 3-0 in less than 20 minutes. The semi final was a similar story with some better rallies but unfortunately (for my opponent) she was hitting a lot of errors. So I was through to the final against Carrie Ramsey of Yorkshire, whom I defeated 3-1 last year at the semi final stage. I came out firing and made a great start, taking the first game 11-3. After this Carrie was playing better and I had both let off the pace a bit and let errors creep into my game. This made for a close few games with no more than 2 points in any of the rest. However, I managed to take 2 of the next 3 to give me the match 3 games to 1 and a second British Title to add to my Under 19 one from way back in 2009! Report on the finals can be read here.

I felt it was a good tournament considering it was just 3 months since my horrible injury and it definitely was good to get back to winning ways! I am only (ha!) 21 so I will be back to defend my title again next year.
Thanks to the club for hosting a great tournament and everyone involved in the organisation.

I am off to Dublin next week to try and qualify for the Irish Open, which is looking especially strong this year with Laura Massaro (WR 3) and Madeline Perry (WR4) heading the seedings for the main draw. The Fitzwilliam Club is a good venue and Dublin a fantastic city so I can't wait to get over there and play now.



Last Tournament:
 British U23 
Venue:
Hunts County Squash Club, Cambs
Opponent: Carrie Ramsey
Score: 3-1 11/3 11/9 10/12 11/9 (42m)

Current Tournament: -
Venue: -

Next Opponent: -

Next Tournament: Irish Open $25k
Venue: Fitzwilliam Club, Dublin
Seeded: -
Date/Time: 23/04/2012
Opponent: tbd

Current World Ranking: 65

No comments:

Post a Comment