Monday 23 April 2012

Irish Open Qualifying

After a bright and early start I arrived in Dublin this morning. Managing to somehow avoid the rain, I made it to the club with a few hours to spare.

I was drawn against Milou van der Heijden from the Netherlands. We are very similar in age but didn't actually play too many times on the European junior circuit, with the last time being at least 4 years ago. Currently ranked 59 to my 65, there wasn't much between us on paper.

After a slow tempo start I picked the pace up and from 2-4 down, took the next 9 points and give me first blood. In the second she began to play better and I lacked patience at times. I was relieved to get the game 14-12 and an all important 2-0 lead. This proved pivotal as I once again took the initiative in the 3rd game, flying to a quick 5-0 lead which she was unable to claw back. I won the 3rd 11-5. A relief to get through a potentially tricky match 3-0 and conserve energy for the qualifying finals tomorrow.

In the qualifying finals tomorrow I face Alison Waters at 2pm. She is on red hot form, winning her last 2 tournaments after a long injury lay off but as always I will give it my best and play the best squash I can.

On a side note we found these ridiculous chocolate bars at the local petrol station (see picture)


1 comment:

  1. Good luck against Alison, I am sure you will learn a lot playing her

    ReplyDelete