Wednesday 25 April 2012

Irish Open Qualifying Finals

In the qualifying finals yesterday I had the unfortunate luck of coming up against Alison Waters, former world number 4 on the comeback trail after injury.

I knew it was going to be very tough and was prepared to get stuck in and expect some long rallies from the start.
I played well in the first game and was 'in' most of the rallies but she was keeping me away from the T and I couldn't get in front and attack as I like to do! I started the 2nd much better, spending much more time controlling the T and then being able to use my hold from the front of the court. I got to 6-5 but after this her experience really shone through as she didn't give me anything to attack, keeping me pinned way in the back and punishing anything I put back short, especially on the backhand. She continued this ruthless play throughout the 3rd and I didn't help myself with a few unforced errors snatching at simple shots.

There is no doubt that Alison is back playing to the top 5 standard she was before her injury and I feel pleased that I competed so well in the 2nd game. I can also take away some things to work on before my next tournament which is the British Open in just over 2 weeks time, where I will be attempting to qualify also. 

I am looking forward to watching some of the maindraw matches before flying home tomorrow and heading to Sheffield for the weekend to represent Warwickshire in the Intercounty finals, where we are reigning champions!


No comments:

Post a Comment