Saturday 3 December 2011

Coronation London Open

Yesterday was the first round of the Coronation London Open held at the Cumberland Club. I was seeded 7th in the draw and up against a qualifier. The qualifier I drew was Cheyna Tucker from South Africa, who I hadn't seen play since juniors but she had beaten some good players to qualify so I knew I would have to concentrate from the off! It was a patchy match in the end with lots of errors from both of us and I was glad to come back from 10-4 down in the 3rd to take it 16-14 and get off in 3.

Today I played Tania Bailey in the quarter finals. Again I wasn't too sure what to expect; obviously with a highest world ranking of 4 she is a class player but she has been out with injury and illness for quite a while. I started the match well taking an 8-3 lead before errors crept into my game. The court was so hot and the ball so bouncy that it was difficult for either of us to create an opening as neither of us were confident going short. Unfortunately a few too many errors and I had dug myself a pretty big hole going 2-0 down (11-9, 11-9). Tania started the better in the 3rd hitting tight drives on both wings and keeping me in the back corners. I had a mini recovery to get back to 6-10 but unfortunately that was it for me, going down in 3.

Slightly disappointed with how I coped with the hot conditions today but Tania played better on the day so she deserved the win. My next tournament is the Boston Open BSPA next weekend but before that on Tuesday is PSL against Oxford against Madeline Perry which will be a great experience as I have yet to play her. 

Song of the Day: Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light

No comments:

Post a Comment