Wednesday 7 December 2011

PSL Birmingham Uni vs Oxford

Tonight I played Madeline Perry in Premier Squash League at Birmingham University. Although she has dropped in the world rankings this month it was only to number 4, so I knew I would have my work cut out to make an impression on the game!

The first game was a bit frantic but was pretty level up until about 7 all. Unfortunately silly errors let me down and I lost the game 11-8. After a change of shoes I came back on for the 2nd and was playing pretty well. However, Madeline was getting onto any loose ball so early and punishing me. She took the 2nd in a repeat scoreline of the 1st. In the 3rd I imposed myself on the game much better, keeping a great length and attacking at the right times. I raced to a 10-2 lead, cutting out the errors from previous games, before closing out the game 11-3.

The 4th was a bit of a battle; I was struggling to find the same consistent length as the 3rd and she was giving me less attacking opportunities. She played some good squash to go 8-6 up and from then on my shot selection from attacking positions was bizarre to say the least, allowing Madeline to control the front. You can't give the world number 4 easy balls and expect to win!

So I went down in 4 games but definitely had her worrying at times. A lot of positives to take from this match and hopefully if I can cut my errors down and keep my discipline in the future, I can get a win against one of the top girls rather than just a game! Onwards and upwards!

Song of the Day: Adele- Rumour Has It

No comments:

Post a Comment