Sunday 18 December 2011

Manor Open (Ilkeston) Day 1 & 2

The last WISPA event EVER! (WISPA will become WSA - Women's Squash Association as of Jan 1st)

This is also my last event before Christmas so there is definitely some extra incentive to do well!
The tournament started on Friday evening. I was up against Cheyna Tucker from South Africa who I also played in the first round in London just a couple of weeks ago. The first 2 games I made too many silly errors but managed to scrape them. In the 3rd I cut out most of the errors and controlled the 'T' much better taking the game 11-4 and the match 3-0.

Next up was Julianne Courtice in the quarter finals. We played each other many times in Juniors and although I have never lost to her, I knew that I would have to be focussed right from the start as she is dangerous when given a loose ball. For the majority of the match I controlled the 'T' well and was attacking at the right times. Lapses in concentration let me back in at times so I was glad to take the 3rd game 14-12 and get off court in 3.

This was particularly important as there was 2 matches yesterday (Saturday). In the semi final I played Laura Hill who I have played several times before, but never beaten. She is a solid player who like to volley and move you out of position. In the first game she kept the ball very tight and I struggled to keep a consistent length, allowing her to attack my short balls effectively. She took the first game 11-8.
In the second, I made a concious decision to slow the pace down. I worked the rallies much better, waiting for opportunities to attack with minimal risk. I pushed forward, putting pressure on her length and as she started to tire her length dropped slightly, allowing me to create more opportunities. I took the next 3 games 11/6 11/4 and 11/6 and the match 3-1.

Very glad to win and be in my 2nd WISPA tour final since turning pro in August. I am playing Tania Bailey in the final today at 3pm. It will be very tough but I will be up for it and will give all I can in search of my first tour title.

You can follow the coverage on Squash Site

No comments:

Post a Comment